As told by a traveling troupe of actors led by the cunning and charming Leading Player, Pippin is the story of a young prince, heir to the throne, who is searching for his own “corner of the sky.” Pippin returns from university certain that he will find a fulfilling purpose in life. As encouraged by the Leading Player, Pippin dabbles in bloody battle, licentious and lusty entanglements, and savvy political maneuvers, only to discover that true happiness is more complicated than he thought. With infectious tunes by Stephen Schwartz Pippin is both a humorous allegory about growing up and a dark tale of the danger of false appearances and empty promises.
Music and lyrics by Steven Schwartz, Book by Roger Hirson
Directed by Heather Frost
Musical Directed by Victor Walters
Choreographed by Lena Murphy
Curtain at 7:30 except Sunday performances will be afternoon matinee
Thurs 10/17 Preview Night
Fri 10/18 Opening Night
Sun 10/20 matinee
Wed 10/23 Industry night
Sun 10/27 matinee
Sun 11/3 matinee
Sat 11/9 matinee
Sat 11/9 evening
The Mary Miller Theater
800 East Simpson Street
Layafette, CO 80026
Ensemble: This show will be directed as a troupe. Ensemble is as important in the story telling as the lead role. Looking for 5-10 additional strong performers of all ages, sizes, backgrounds, genders, etc. Must be able to sing and move. The show will be choreographed with Fosse as the inspiration. Actors with magic, acrobatic or busker skills a plus. Please be ready to demonstrate skill.
Pippin: Male. Character age 18 – 25. Male. Vocal Range G2 – Ab4. Lead role. Our story's young and confused protagonist. He is longing to find his purpose in life.
Charles: Character age 50+. Male. Vocal Range g2 – E4. Pippin's demanding father and the King of the Holy Roman Empire.
Lewis: Male. Character age 20s/30s. Pippin's half-brother. Non-solo role. Non-singers may audition for the role of Lewis.
Fastrada: Female. Character age 40+. Vocal range A3 – F5. Pippin's stepmother.
Berthe: Female. Character age 60+. Vocal range E3-C5. Pippin's grandmother.
Catherine: Female. Character age 20s/30s.Vocal range F#3 – Db5. widow and mother who falls in love with Pippin.
Theo: Male. Character age 6 – 10. Sings a verse from “Corner of the Sky”. Catherine's son. Will consider a female for this role.
The supporting role of The Lead Player has been precast.
WHO SHOULD AUDITION?
You must be 18 to audition for all roles except for the role of Theo. All roles are non-equity. A very modest stipend will be offered.
WHEN ARE AUDITIONS?
Wednesday May 15, 2019: 6:30 pm – 9:30 pm
Saturday May 18th, 2019: 10 am - 3pm
WHERE ARE AUDITIONS?
The Mary Miller Theater
300 East Simpson Street
Lafayette, CO. 80026
Sunday May 19th 2019: 3:30 – 6:30 pm
Please plan to stay for the full session. If you are unable to stay for the full session, please let us know before callbacks begin.
BRING / PREPARE
- 16-32 Bars of an upbeat song from any compatible musical theatre work. No acapella accepted. Accompanist available. Bring sheet music in a binder if more than 2 pages.
- No longer than a 2 minute monologue (firm. Comedic monologue is preferred).
- Actors auditioning for Theo ONLY may tell a joke or funny story in place of a monologue. Also, please write "THEO" in the comment line of your sign up.
- Please email a resume, headshot prior to auditions to email@example.com.
- If not emailed prior to audition, please bring a resume, headshot, and list of conflicts from August 5 – Oct 16th.
- Arrive 15 minutes early to fill out audition form.
- Wear comfortable clothes for dance/movement.
- Plan to stay for the length of your audition session. If you are unable to stay and unable to attend a different audition session, please let us know at the top of your session.
Begins Mid August (start date based on casting) and tentatively runs weekday evenings (Monday – Thursday) 7 - 10 pm and some weekend days depending on cast conflicts.
Everyone must be available for tech starting Thurs, October 10th, 2019.
SIGN UP HERE: Pippin Audition Sign Up